I've been to a few concerts (and recognize the same sound in recorded music) where the singer sings into a microphone and plays chords on a keyboard. The sound captured by the microphone isn't played back directly; it is modified according to the notes played on the keyboard. I've noticed the microphone is usually rather small (unlike traditional stage microphones). The resulting sound seems to be a blend between voice and synth. Usually you can distinguish the words being said if you listen. The effect is somewhat similar to a sonovox. What is this instrument called?

  • @Dom it’s a perfectly valid question and could definitely be ”useful to future readers”. – piiperi Reinstate Monica Mar 12 at 14:19
  • @piiperiReinstateMonica I'm trying to curtail the use of the identification tag while keeping the off-topic cases consistent. As of now, instrument identification is off-topic and there are no explicit exceptions. I tried being lenient before, but that also concerned the community because off-topic questions were left open. See here: music.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/3471/… – Dom Mar 12 at 14:31

It's called a vocoder. [1][2]

And though they are completely different concepts, some people put the Talkbox in the same category. But you're surely aware of it given that you linked to the Wikipedia page in your question.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yeah I was sure they were different. I meant that the resulting effect naïvely sounds like a talkbox or sonovox. – intcreator Nov 14 '17 at 19:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.