On a music sheet I am reading, the letters "H.V." (without quotation marks) are written occasionally just above specific notes, above the top line of a bar, but lower than where chords are written, and in a smaller font. The music sheet is for trumpet. I have tried googling, as well as looking for it on here, but without finding anything.

Guessing from the acronym and the context, I thought it might mean high volume, but I can't find anything by googling that either.

Thanks for any help

  • 1
    "Half valve", perhaps? Dec 8, 2017 at 8:58
  • 2
    What is the piece and what instrument is it for? Can you post an image, so we can see it in context?
    – JimM
    Dec 8, 2017 at 11:21
  • It's a jazz piece originally written for Bb trumpet, and I am transposing it for guitar. HV seems to mean half-valve, and I now wonder if it is similar to a bend on guitar
    – Max D
    Dec 8, 2017 at 18:59

1 Answer 1


If this is jazz/swing music, then quite possibly "Half - valve," as described in the online Dolmetsch dictionary,

the opening of stops or valves on instruments like the trumpet, French horn, cornet and tuba, used by jazz musicians when they are approaching a glissando, attempting to change the pitch of a tone without hitting the note or its closest interval, and in the process of highlighting blue notes, for vibrato effects and tremolos

  • Sounds right, this is jazz music. If I understand correctly, a glissando by half-valve on the trumpet would be similar to a bend on the guitar? (That is my target instrument for this trumpet piece)
    – Max D
    Dec 8, 2017 at 18:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.