I can assume the BBBB can be divided into Baritone I & II and Bass 1 & II, but what about tenors (assuming they’re all tenors and not countertenors)? Is there another name or does it go from Tenor I to Tenor IV?

  • 1
    I’m curious about this. I think it would just be I - IV like you’re thinking. I’ve seen up to soprano 3 in choir music when they had different roles. It wasn’t even range specific, just singing different things and making different noises. Dec 26 '17 at 15:43

I could be wrong, but I believe that "B" specifically refers to basses; to reference the baritones in the "instrumentation", traditionally you would use "Ba". Therefore, according to the instrumentation you provided, the song is for Bass I-IV and for Tenor I-IV, and you leave it at that. To include two separate baritone parts, two separate bass parts, and four separate tenor parts, you would say "TTTTBaBaBB".


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.