Schuller stated what Third Stream music is not
- It is not jazz with strings.
- It is not jazz played on "classical" instruments.
- It is not classical music played by jazz players.
- It is not inserting a bit of Ravel or Schoenberg between be-bop changes—nor the reverse.
- It is not jazz in fugal form. It is not a fugue played by jazz players.
- It is not designed to do away with jazz or classical music; it is just another option amongst many for today’s creative musicians.
An example of Schuller's vision of Third Stream can be found on the album "Abstractions" composed by Schuller and Jim Hall.
Saying what something is not does not define what it is.
What are the rules of Third Stream composition?