I would like to play virtual instruments in Ableton Live in rehearsal setting. At my disposal are:

Mixer offers 1/4 inch line ins per each channel and few RCA labeled "unbalanced" - I am not sure what this means in this situtation.

enter image description here

Question: How do I connect interface to mixer, in order to hear interface output in the monitors?

Thank you for your consideration.

  • I can't figure out what you mean by "columns", by the way. That's not a term normally used to describe a part of an audio mixer. Jan 22, 2018 at 16:47
  • "Columns" would be local word for "monitor speakers". Apologies for the confusion.
    – Ponyman
    Jan 22, 2018 at 21:05
  • Interesting. Old people like me would be likely to call monitor speakers "wedges", since they used to be almost always wedge-shaped speaker cabinets on the floor. I guess a lot of people now use the new style of column speakers that Bose invented. Jan 22, 2018 at 21:08
  • 1
    Here (in Poland) word "kolumna" singular / "kolumny" plural is used loosely to mention various specialized and/or high end speakers of considerable power. And most likely it stems from popularization of the standard mentioned by you.
    – Ponyman
    Jan 22, 2018 at 21:21

1 Answer 1


Those red and white outputs on the back of the Scarlett Solo are called RCA jacks. In the case of the Scarlett, those jacks are outputs. You can connect them to any RCA inputs using an RCA cable.

This is what an RCA cable looks like:

enter image description here

Get an RCA cable and connect it to the outputs of the Scalett, matching the red plug to the red jack and the white plug to the white jack. Plug the other end of the cable (white to white and red to red) into the left side of the group of four RCA jacks on the Mackie. That's the side the says "Tape In" to the left of the jacks.

Now look at the main fader, which is the one farthest to the right. Right above the main fader is a knob labelled "Tape Level". Play sound from your computer and turn the "Tape Level" knob slowly to the right until you hear the volume you want.

Image source: https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/4408/4408065_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.