Sample video here:

I understand with the organ pipes that they would have a blower and be able to actuate a valve to make them sound but how do they make the horns sound? You need air blowing through lips so what do they use for the lips in this case? Just some rubber?

Having trouble finding any info on this.

1 Answer 1


Looks like trompettes en chamade to me, in German "Spanische Trompeten". The sounding bits are metal "reeds" vibrating against a shallot. That's in contrast to free reeds (like those used in accordions and harmoniums) which solely work through interruption of the air stream by a reed passing through a reed gap rather than hitting anything. This basic single-reed mechanism then is amplified with a resonance cone. They are among the loudest reed pipes and pretty popular on fair or theatre organs.

  • I see so sort of like a duck call
    – zoplonix
    Jan 27, 2018 at 4:03
  • So it's like reed registers/stops in regular organs?
    – yo'
    Jan 29, 2018 at 19:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.