A Gainclone chip amp makes for a nice benchmark/monitor amp. How can I add controllable even order harmonic distortion to one?

  • It really depends on what you want to actually do with it. If you reword the question to be a little more pointed I think we could possible give some guidance. It's a bit like asking "Is there any sense in painting my lawnmower pink?" ;)
    – Jduv
    Jul 2 '12 at 17:44
  • 1
    Good question, but certainly better suited for electronics.SE. Jul 3 '12 at 0:47
  • Use a modeler like the Boss GT-10, Digitech RP500 or the Vox Tonelab to get a decent tube sound.
    – JimR
    Jul 3 '12 at 17:45

The simple answer is that you can't. The reason these are so cheap and simple is that there aren't a lot of configurable parts and sadly you are stuck with odd harmonics if you overdrive the LM 3886.

As JimR said, you'll need to use a valve overdrive in your signal path if you do want that sound.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.