No, this isn't an electric piano that I set to piano + guitar.

This is the same upright piano that I have played on for years.

While I was playing Fur Elise, specifically the section with no left hand rests, I heard a twang coming from one of the keys, not sure which one but I am pretty sure it was in the treble clef, specifically either the high end of the first octave or the low end of the second octave.

It sounded like a guitar string was plucked hard at the same time that a key at the same exact note was pressed at forte.

Does that mean that I just broke a string on the piano? And if so how could I tell, lack of note when I press a key?

  • Besides the already-mentioned idea of a broken string, it's possible that a foreign object is stuck in the strings.
    – Steve
    Feb 15 '18 at 6:16

You could always open the top and have a look ! It sounds like a string has broken, but, because there are three strings on the top couple of octaves, and two on the next few, the note will still play, although a certain richness will now be lacking.

It's surprising that the broken part isn't catching on any other strings, making even stranger noises.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.