How would one call a Dm with a C bass?

I was wondering as it consists of the 2nd, a suspended 4 and the 6th so should the name be C 2/6 suspended 4?


Slash chords don't always need to be given more specific names, but if you do try to find another name for Dmin/C then the context will matter. This could be just a Dmin with a C in the bass, i.e. a Dmin7 in third inversion. This probably makes sense if the C is part of a bassline.

If it makes sense to think of this chord as having a C root for some reason, then maybe it would be fine to call it a C6(sus2), or better a C6/9(sus4).

If Dmin/C does not sound like a D minor chord, it seems like a better name would be F6, since the notes of this chord (C D F A) form an F6 in second inversion.


Dm with a C bass note will usually be written as Dm/C. It's the third inversion of D minor seventh. You state that it is Dm, so unless that's inaccurate, Dm/C (or Dm7/C as a faint possibility) is good.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.