I remember seeing this term on Genius at one point in time and can't for the life of me remember what it is. I Googled it and went to a Wikipedia page and remember it defined it as something along the lines of, "A second part to a song that has a significant style or tonal difference than the first. There is a quick change or shift in style." I'm fairly certain it started with an "S" as well.

The term describes the specific section that has a significant style change.

If you’ve heard

King’s Dead around 2:30 the entire song shifts to a totally new style and never returns to the original. That’s what I’m getting at.

  • Was this geared towards popular/rock music specifically? – Richard Mar 15 '18 at 1:28
  • It was related to Hip Hop. And I’m 100% certain that it started with an S. It was a term that gives a name to the section of the song with a different style. Sorry if the question didn’t describe that well enough. – Michael Payne Mar 15 '18 at 1:45
  • Is it "sabi"? This is a Japanese term which means a climax(?) section in the middle of a song. I don't understand this well enough to write an "answer", but this might be a clue. – Brian Chandler Mar 15 '18 at 4:11
  • Nope. Sorry again. I would recognize the word if it came up. If you’ve heard [“King’s Dead”] (youtu.be/VwAnsAUYnw4) around 2:30 the entire song shifts to a totally new style and never returns to the original. That’s what I’m getting at. – Michael Payne Mar 15 '18 at 4:17
  • 1
    Genius is not an authority on anything. – Stinkfoot Mar 15 '18 at 4:37

That’s the called the bridge. Especially in hip hop. The Godfather James Brown called out loudly and often for the bridge in many of his songs.

See also: https://beat.media/genre-guide-structure-of-a-hip-hop-song


There's a list of song terms on this site you might have heard of called Genius:

Introduction (Intro)



Pre-Chorus (Climb)











Instrumental or Solo

Ad lib




It's obviously not scratching, sampling, or solo.

A skit is a separate section that could be anywhere in the song during which some kind of action happens like in a play or radio drama.

A segue is always at the end of a song but is a short section that is linking material between one song and another song. Segues are not always a significant style change, some of them actually connect the two styles of the songs and have hallmarks of both styles. Segues are also not always music. They can be quotes, sound effects, or almost anything.

It could also be called a pivot or key change.

  • 1
    With a bridge, the song eventually returns to the chorus, or even another verse. With the term I’m describing, the track stays with the new style until it ends. The term was used in a Geniuses track info panel, not a forum discussion. – Michael Payne Mar 15 '18 at 3:55
  • 1
    @MichaelPayne : Genius is not an authority on anything. – Stinkfoot Mar 15 '18 at 4:37
  • 1
    @MichaelPayne Well that sounds like a coda or outro, but I can't think of a word starting with "s". Unless it's a segno which means "sign", which is a mark sometimes used to indicate a jump to a bridge or coda. Also, many times the word bridge is used even when the music doesn't return to an earlier feel or style. – Todd Wilcox Mar 15 '18 at 6:38
  • 2
    For the record, "bridge" was in common use before any hip-hop artist's parents were out of diapers :-) – Carl Witthoft Mar 15 '18 at 14:36

In classical music we'd speak of the second (third, fourth...) movement.


Okay, sorry for all the confusion. The term that my brain was thinking of was "Interpolation." Yes, I know that's not what I'm describing, but let me explain.

On a the Genius page for Post Malone – White Iverson Lyrics, there's a box that gives the track information.

Under that box there is a credit titled, "Interpolates":

Genius Track information

This is the Wikipedia article that came up after I Googled, "music interpolation."

You can see that it talks about "an abrupt change of musical elements, with the (almost immediate) resumption of the main theme or idea." My brain seemed to have not remembered the second half of the description and associated the first with another word, "Satz" somehow.

Anyway, thank you for all your help. I know interpolation is nothing like what I described, but I found my solution. Thanks!



From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

Trio \Tri"o\, n. [It., fr. L. tres, tria, three: cf. F. trio, from the Italian. See {Three}.]


  1. (Mus.)


    (b) The secondary, or episodical, movement of a minuet or scherzo, as in a sonata or symphony, or of a march, or of various dance forms; -- not limited to three parts or instruments.


Probably rhapsody. It's defined as an episodic sequence of elements in one connected movement. Prominent examples titled as such are "Rhapsody in Blue" by George Gershwin and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen.

  • Nope. I specifically remembered that it started with an S. It was defined as "A separate section of a song that is inherently different than the rest." It was credited under the "Track Info" section on Genius to some guy. And no, it's not a bridge. – Michael Payne Mar 15 '18 at 1:08
  • 2
    Umm, yeah, it Is a bridge – Carl Witthoft Mar 15 '18 at 14:37
  • @MichaelPayne - again: Genius is not a valid authority on anything. If you are look for a "Genius" term, this probably isn't the right place. – Stinkfoot Mar 15 '18 at 15:07
  • @Stinkfoot I understand that, but the actual term was defined by numbers sites and sources. – Michael Payne Mar 15 '18 at 17:26
  • @MichaelPayne - all useless and meaningless. – Stinkfoot Mar 15 '18 at 20:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.