I have an electric guitar whose jack socket is recessed in the body of the guitar, as shown in this image

I have received a birthday present of a wireless jack connector, but the "transmitter" part is too fat to fit inside the recessed mini-tunnel that houses the jack socket.

I could buy a pair of mini-full jack lead converters to extend the lead, but...

Is there a neater way, e.g. a single jack extender without a cable part?

  • Is your guitar output jack at an angle from the front of the guitar similar to a strat or recessed into the edge of the guitar similar to a telecaster? – skinny peacock Apr 8 '18 at 0:55
  • I've uploaded a picture just to explain a bit better hopefully – Mr Felix U Apr 9 '18 at 9:00
  • I've looked in one of my Stewart MacDonald catalogs and they show a Les Paul jack plate that would fit over that hole very nicely. Allparts probably has something that would work too. Look under hardware. – skinny peacock Apr 9 '18 at 15:02

You could make up a custom cable using George L's and a socket connector like the one on this cable. Knowing how to build cables is useful for guitar pedals as well.

See George L's - Connecting with your tone

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes, that sounds good - it's just that I'm a total amateur and don't have the tools to do this - i was looking for an off-the-shelf. I went into the big guitar shop in our town and the sales person was not terribly interested in helping me out :-( – Mr Felix U Apr 9 '18 at 9:01
  • It requires very little knowledge or experience to do this. Well worth a shot. An alternative that involves no electrical experience is to actually widen the hole the socket sits in. Quick and simple, but rather permanent. – Doktor Mayhem Apr 9 '18 at 13:01

If the jack is located on the edge of the guitar, you might consider replacing the recessed cup with a flat plate and mounting the jack into the plate instead of the recessed cup. I've seen them both ways so I know they exist.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.