I am getting a 1997 Gibson SG Special (Black) signed next month by one of my favorite artists.

What sort of pen should I use for this specific guitar? I had read acrylic pen, but I am not sure. I want it in silver. I figured by providing the exact make/model of guitar, someone will know the best type of pen.

After I get it signed, how can I ensure it is protected permanently? I read about clear wrap, but I am not hot on that idea. I've also read about people applying a varnish or lacquer... with success and horror stories.

What do I do?

1 Answer 1


On a black guitar you're going to need a white, silver or gold marker.

That is going to cause issues if you want to over-coat it afterwards.

Metallic markers are 'solvent-based' but will stay on the surface, not soak into the surface like those big black marker pens you sniff at, wondering if they could make you high (joke) - but without knowing precisely what solvent it went on with you're not going to know what 'solvent' won't turn it into a mushy smudge when you coat it..

Solution - water-based lacquer.

Art & craft shop is going to be your best source for that. Available as a spray.

Even coated, it will scratch off if you're not careful, so if you want it to last a lifetime, you're going to be hanging it on a wall, not gigging with it.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.