I picked up the guitar half a year ago. Much of my playing is me playing a song's chord progression and a friend singing over it. Some ways that I've been experimenting with to "decorate" my playing on the spur of the moment are:
- different strumming patterns
- damping the strings
- switching in sus2/sus4 chords
- hammering on or pulling off one of the strings in the chord
- playing the chord at different places
- even sneaking in some melody notes if I've planned ahead
All of these ideas or patterns I've just been lucky to come across. How can I find more ways to decorate "simple" chord progressions? I've been trying to google such lists, but maybe I'm not using the right words, or maybe as a newbie I'm not thinking from the right perspective.