I would like to write dowb a jazz grid in "Degree notation" in order to make it "tonality free", but i'm stucked with a problem.

The song is billie's bounce and i don't know how to write the diminished chord after the 4th degree (see picture).

Also i don't know what's the fonction of that chords and what makes it so powerfull on this progression.

Thank you!

My problem


IV#o or Four sharp diminished. I'd choose that since the letter name indicates degree. Since Bb is the fourth of F (and you've indicated F and the I) B natural is the sharp fourth rather than a flat fifth. Of course you could use substitutions to replace the diminished chord with something else. If these are real book changes as opposed to an original score those are seldom exact (or even correct).

  • Of course! This is it =) I've completly forgettent that you could put alterations to the roman number. Now it's all clear. Thank you – Stéphane Molano Jun 3 '18 at 8:09

It certainly won't be IVo, as that would make it Bbo. And the same goes for Vo, making it Co. Out of diminished chords, that actually leaves the one for which you search. In F, it's called (here) Bo, but the same notes occur in Io. Often with a dim chord, the four notes can be played in any order. I often see in charts, say, Bo, written as a chord symbol, but with either F, Ab, B (Cb here!) or D written in as the lowest (bass) note. So, I'd go for Io. Jazz players will often choose how they voice chords anyhow, so, although it may be slightly technically inaccurate, the correct notes will come out. Only in a different order...(Eric Morecombe!).

Your 'degree notation' bears a striking resemblance to NNS.

  • I'll go for Io since you're right, the notes are the same =) Thank you Edit : What is NNS? ^^ – Stéphane Molano May 31 '18 at 10:54
  • NNS= Nashville Numbering System, where instead of a chord chart in a particular key, songs' accompaniments in chords is written in Roman Numerals, so session musos can simply read the RN, and chord types, and transpose instantly. Something like you're doing! – Tim May 31 '18 at 10:59
  • Ohh very good, i couldn't put a name on this system, it was just a simple "Scale degree notation" to me =) I've learned twice much as i was hoping to! Thanks! – Stéphane Molano May 31 '18 at 11:09
  • 1
    Have a good look into it. I've used a bastardised version for a good 50 yrs, but don't like certain bits, like '-' for minor. Mainly as in handwritten stuff, it's too easy to miss or worse, see a mark that's not there intentionally! Tend to use lower case for minors. Or simple 'm'. – Tim May 31 '18 at 11:13
  • Well, new material to learn \o/ I like it. See you Tim – Stéphane Molano May 31 '18 at 11:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.