I have a dual pickup that outputs to a stereo jack, having the tip and ring outputting the two elements of the pickup respectively.

I was wondering if there is an effect that takes a stereo ¼" jack (or right & left using an insert cable), and has a mono output which is a blend of both channels, with a knob controlling the blend or dry/wet of both stereo sides.

If there is such a pedal, does it have an official name so I can use to search for various makes out there?

It's not a guitar, it's a violin. I don't have the pickup yet, I'm considering buying it, and since it's a bit pricey, I'm checking out the options of the whole gear. Here is what I'm talking about.

  • It's called a blender or mixer pedal Commented Jun 24, 2018 at 3:31
  • The site you link suggests a pricey ($1000) blender/preamp that looks like it has a stereo input jack. Here is a stereo blender pedal. But it seems like you could just use a stereo splitter cable and a regular blender pedal like this.
    – user39614
    Commented Jun 24, 2018 at 12:44
  • @Shimmy - I have made these for £5 plus case. It's a really simple circuit. Usually called a mixer pedal.
    – Doktor Mayhem
    Commented Jun 24, 2018 at 19:47
  • @DoktorMayhem, are there blank DIY mini-effect pedals to get anywhere? Commented Jul 5, 2018 at 13:59
  • @Shimmy - happy to chat in Music: Practice & Theory Chat
    – Doktor Mayhem
    Commented Jul 5, 2018 at 14:17

1 Answer 1


To answer the portion regarding terms of art, try: "stereo summing mono pedal" (or "sum to mono"). Also, possibly crossfade or pan pedal.

I saw someone mention the use of an Ernie Ball 6165, where they put the stereo input into the "B" output, and then used the "A" input ans the mono out, and the pan knob worked to set the mix. This may have been a quirk of an older design, but they claimed it summed properly with no attenuation.

  • 1
    I also saw DIY electronic books that talk about mods for stereo devices. Schematics only however
    – Yorik
    Commented Jul 5, 2018 at 14:36
  • please elaborate about the DIY part, tx Commented Jul 6, 2018 at 16:41
  • 1
    I saw a google book hit when using google. random hit with schematic: rane.com/note109.html ( Stereo-to-Mono Summing Box figure 2)
    – Yorik
    Commented Jul 6, 2018 at 16:47
  • Why don't you include that in your answer? This IS actually the answer. Commented Jul 25, 2018 at 15:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.