So I wanna extend the song by replacing the last two chords from 5 - 1 to 5 - 6 or 3M/3 - 6 (Does this make sense? Hehe). For example, in the key of C, I would like to repeat the song by replacing G7-C to G7-Am7 or E7/G#-Am7. Thing is I don't know what chord next to play before actually repeating the last line or 2 of the song--in the case of the example, a chord after Am7. Any idea?


This V–vi motion is often called a "deceptive cadence" (or an "interrupted cadence" in British English). In most cases a deceptive cadence leads into what some call the "one-more-time technique" where the composer will "try again" to reach a V–I cadence.

The standard method of "trying again" is to move to a Predominant and restart the cadential process. As such, how about moving to IV or ii after the Am7?

This isn't the only method, but it is a standard one. You can even elaborate a motion to IV by moving from Am7 to a C7/G and then to IV, creating a nice 6–5–4 motion in the bass that smoothly leads to your IV. Alternatively, move from Am7 through A7/G to a Dm/F!

  • Just the answer I was looking for. How about if the 4th (in this case F) becomes 2M/3 (in this case, D7/F#)?
    – tjvg1991
    Sep 24 '18 at 9:22
  • @tjvg1991 Completely fine, at which point that chord just becomes an applied dominant to V!
    – Richard
    Sep 24 '18 at 9:37
  • what can be the chord before that? C7/G? A7/G? @Richard
    – tjvg1991
    Sep 24 '18 at 9:45
  • 1
    @tjvg1991 A7/G would probably sound better.
    – Richard
    Sep 24 '18 at 10:03

This will depend on what chord is at the beginning of the 'last line or 2' of the song. Pick a progression that leads into it nicely.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.