There's a symbol used in piano manuscript notation that means "play this in the other hand, even though it's written in this one". It looks like a capital L shape.

Bad drawing of the shape

As you can (maybe) see in my bad drawing, the manuscript suggests playing the first chord exclusively in the right hand, and the second chord exclusively in the left hand (despite the fact that that's harder; it's a bad example ok?).

I'd like to use this symbol in Lilypond (because my handwriting is atrocious), but I don't know what to call it in order to search for it.

What is this symbol called?

1 Answer 1


I'm not sure of a term, but I can at least point you to the right direction in terms of LilyPond.

These "cross-staff chords" are often notated by using an arpeggio bracket as shown here in the LilyPond Snippet Repository. It's also included at the bottom of this page in the LilyPond notation manual.

This symbol is a little bit different than what you're specifically asking for, but it's very similar.

  • That's the topic of my other question - this is good to know, though.
    – wizzwizz4
    Nov 4, 2018 at 18:37
  • @wizzwizz4 Ah, so it is! I missed that one somehow.
    – Richard
    Nov 4, 2018 at 18:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.