I was listening to Weber's Turandot Overture. A flute (or piccolo?) plays a theme, and then the entire orchestra plays the same thing. Is there a name for this?

  • chanting, maybe? there is a word for it in other languages I know, but I can't translate it to english. – Claud H Nov 14 '18 at 11:17
  • Copycat :-) . How about "call and response" – Carl Witthoft Nov 14 '18 at 13:17
  • In call and response, the response is an answer to the call, not merely a repeat. (Call= Shave and a haircut, response= six bits) – Richard Barber Nov 14 '18 at 18:43

More common in a solo concerto, this is a “tutti repeat” or “orchestral repetition”, where the entire orchestra echos the statement of a melodic subject in the solo.


No special term, beyond variations on the (perfectly clear) description you've already given. 'The theme is stated by solo flute, then repeated by full orchestra.'

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.