In "Curtain Call" by John Wasson, the oboe part (and others) includes an articulation mark that I'm not familiar with. It looks like a slur, but the up and down are straight lines, instead of curved. enter image description here

Could somebody explain to me what I'm supposed to be doing here? I've been playing it as a bit of a bend, but I'm not convinced that's correct.


This is called the shake! It adds a short grace figure to the transition to the second note like this: enter image description here

Always start the shake figure by holding the first note slightly. For a descending shake you then go up a step, back down to the first note, then to the second note. Notice in your example the second note of each shake has a teepee articulation, so honor that.

On brass the shake is done with the lip.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.