I'm doing practise questions for an upcoming test, and I have to name an interval from E to G double flat. Would that be a double diminished third? I'm not sure what to call it. Also if I invert it will it be a double augmented sixth?


You're exactly right on all fronts!

Since G♯ is in the E-major scale, E–G♯ is a major third. From there, we just make the necessary alterations until we reach E–G♭♭. If E–G♯ is a major third, then E–G♮ is a minor third, E–G♭ is a diminished third, and thus E–G♭♭ is a doubly diminished third.

In any event, it's definitely not a minor second (or even an augmented unison). These intervals are enharmonically equivalent to a doubly diminished third, but if the pitches are spelled as some type of E to some type of G, it must be measured as a third.

We can walk through the same process when we invert the interval, as well: G♯–E is a minor sixth, G♮–E a major sixth, G♭–E an augmented sixth, and thus G♭♭–E a doubly augmented sixth.

Intervals like this are really more "theoretical" in nature as opposed to "practical," but the logic in determining their size is sound (...excuse the pun).

  • Thanks for the thorough explanation Richard! I understand better now – saf Nov 21 '18 at 22:58
  • Makes me wonder why questions like this are posed in exam papers. Pretty sure I've never come across E>Gbb, and these days, most writers would write it as E>F, wrongly, maybe, but far easier to read... – Tim Nov 22 '18 at 8:34
  • 1
    Probably just to ensure that the students are learning the language correctly. – ggcg Nov 25 '18 at 15:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.