I am wondering what instrument is this? It produces a sound like sands, and the performer seems to rotate the upper part of it to make sounds.

enter image description here

I also find it on an Indian music instrument illustration graph but it is not labeled.

enter image description here

  • 1
    If just shown the photo, I would say it was a cabasa. Not sure if there's an "India-specific" cabasa... Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 23:39

1 Answer 1


It is a Latin Percussion (LP brand) instrument called the Afuche Cabasa. The instrument modernized the African natural gourd shaker and is used widely for its heavy-duty sound and construction.enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.