Every pedal except the sostenuto pedal also has an English name. Sostenuto means "sustained" in Italian, according to Wikipedia.

Another reason for an English word to replace the word "sostenuto" is that it has 4 syllables while the other pedal names have fewer (the soft pedal has 1, the damper pedal has 2)

Every other pedal has an English name. What's another name for the sostenuto? (Please make sure the name is in English.)

  • 1
    Soft pedal is the una corda pedal.(4 syllables!). Damper pedal actually does the opposite - it undamps the strings. Also called sustain pedal. Have never heard another name for the sostenuto pedal, which many uprights and some grands don't possess. Some have a practice pedal in the middle. – Tim Dec 2 '18 at 10:51
  • If you want to innovate, you could try the keepdown pedal, the rare pedal, the sos pedal (for short: "the sauce"), the [Claire de] Lune pedal... :) – Luke Sawczak Dec 2 '18 at 13:34

I've heard it referred to as the "sustain pedal" plenty of times.

(This looks like way too short of an answer, but I don't see how to beef it up...)

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    If the middle pedal is the sustain, then what's the right hand (foot!) one called? – Tim Dec 2 '18 at 10:41
  • @Tim Yikes, I just realized that I completely misunderstood the question! Part of me wants to delete my answer, but apparently at least three people also call the middle pedal the sustain pedal...?! – Richard Dec 2 '18 at 23:49

Nope, just 'Sostenuto pedal'. The only alternative might be 'middle pedal' - but a middle pedal can be other things.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.