I just discovered the track "I Got The..." by Labi Siffre and am blown away by it. One quite appealing technical detail is around the 3.25 mark the drummer starts repeating a kind of two bar sequence where each of the two bar sequences starts with a small maybe syncopated flurry and the start of the next bar gets maybe an extra off beat snare hit or something. Is there a technical term for this pattern ? It sounds great anyway.

Link to track on youtube:

  • 1
    the little flurry is a drag.
    – b3ko
    Commented Dec 13, 2018 at 21:22
  • Sounds more like a simple single-handed roll or a buzz (dead) stroke. Commented Feb 5, 2019 at 10:59

1 Answer 1


As b3ko already said in the comments, the "syncopated flurry" is a drag. It consists of hitting twice quietly with the left hand right before a note in the right hand (for right-handed people), as this guy explains. In this case, the left hand notes are snare, and the right hand note is hi-hat + kick drum, the first beat of the bar.

As for this part:

the start of the next bar gets maybe an extra off beat snare hit or something

there is not such thing IMO, the next bar is very "well behaved", so I think the pattern we are seeing here is just the drag.

  • 1
    there is that little open hit hat, syncopated snare action before the end of the second bar, maybe that is what the OP means??
    – b3ko
    Commented Dec 13, 2018 at 21:57
  • Extra snare at 3.54 for example, extra open high hat at 4.06, several other occassions where i think there are additional less obvious differences.
    – user467257
    Commented Dec 13, 2018 at 23:31
  • @user467257 Aah, I see. It's between beat 4 and beat 1, in the second bar after the drag. Anyway, I don't think it's part of a pattern, nor has a name.....
    – coconochao
    Commented Dec 17, 2018 at 15:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.