I'm just wondering what the ideal steps are to set up a guitar. For instance, it needs a complete setup, you're changing the string gauge, setting the action, getting it intonated. I'm not asking about more technical issues like changing pots, electronic issues etc., more just in relation to strings and getting it playing well and in tune.
- Change strings, bring it up to tune, leave it or a couple of days.
- Check neck relief, change using truss rod if necessary.
- Change action height to preferred, by adjusting bridge/saddles height.
- Check intonation against 12th and 19th (and 24th if there) frets using harmonics.
- Re-tune. Leave to settle for a couple more days, while playing it.
- Go through it all again.
Depending how far you might want to get into this, there are some books by author-guitar tech Dan Erlewine on guitar maintenance and setup that explain in detail, step by step, along with what tools are needed, and how to deal with problems one might encounter in the process of doing a set-up. I found his books very helpful when I started setting up my own guitars and when I have a problem, I still refer back to them.