I never was much good at working this sort of thing out. Hopefully, a real musician can tell me. Thanks in advance. Please listen here.

closed as off-topic by Dom Dec 20 '18 at 14:39

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Basic analysis questions, such as "What key is this song in?", are off-topic. Questions should be substantial and refer to a well-defined work or subsection, including a concrete reference (sheet music, etc.)." – Dom
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    I can tap in 4s and end at the end of musical phrases. And I don't hear a steady triplet feel. I didn't listen to it all but it feels like 4/4. – ggcg Dec 20 '18 at 13:29
  • Thanks. So you think I'll be ok if I orchestrate in 4/4? That's what I really need to know. – Gordon Bennett Dec 20 '18 at 13:35
  • It sounds "orchestrated" already. Or are you rearranging it for a different group? – ggcg Dec 20 '18 at 13:55
  • If you do encounter sections that have a triplet feel you could always (1) change time signature for that section or (2) write quarter triplets over each half note in a measure, etc. Depending on whether or not it all fits into the same 4/4 tempo I hear in the beginning. – ggcg Dec 20 '18 at 13:57
  • I was just trying to create a rough guide for the vocalist to sing along to. – Gordon Bennett Dec 20 '18 at 14:30

Definitely 4/4. Notate it in 'straight 8s'. PLAY it with a slightly relaxed feel. As so often, notation of the vocal line will be approximate.

  • Thanks. The thing that's confusing me is the verse is divided into sections of 3 bars and not 4 as you would expect in a 4/4 song. – Gordon Bennett Dec 20 '18 at 14:48
  • 1
    Yes, nice isn't it! 3-bar phrases are not as common as 4-bar ones, but are perfectly OK. Make sure you listen to what a song DOES, not what you think it OUGHT to do :-) – Laurence Payne Dec 20 '18 at 14:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.