I inherited this with a box of piano sheet music, some of which was for beginners, and vaguely recall seeing one ages ago at a music store. It’s about the right size for wearing like a pair of brass knuckles, but I have large hands and it’s slightly large even on me.

My best guess is a finger spreader for somehow enforcing good hand posture on a keyboard, but it seems rather unwieldy for that.

Metal ‘m’ device

  • 4
    My guess is that this is used to keep a book of sheet music open to the desired page. Mar 1, 2019 at 3:46

1 Answer 1


It's a clip that you use to hold music books open on the stand, like so:

Music book clip

  • 18
    Not only that, but it has the cool appearance of an octopus about to climb over the edge and dance across your score. Mar 1, 2019 at 10:53
  • 9
    Works great until you want to turn the page in the middle of a performance... Mar 1, 2019 at 12:42
  • 3
    Does it have a name?
    – Ian
    Mar 1, 2019 at 14:58
  • 2
    Music Book Clip or Page Holder.
    – suketup
    Mar 1, 2019 at 15:36
  • 4
    @BrianTHOMAS: Indeed. But usually if you put the clip on the last page of the piece that's enough to keep the book open. (That said, spiral binding is indeed the way to go.) Mar 2, 2019 at 1:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.