I know this is a silly question, but I couldn't help but wonder it. Is there a way to play vibrato on the piano? If not are there pianos out there with this feature?

  • 2
    Very easy on a synthesized piano... Not so much on a real one! – topo morto Mar 21 at 0:00
  • 1
    Indeed there are several electronic keyboards out there that have keys that are sensitive to finger motion and can be programmed to add vibrato. If you've ever watched Radiohead play on their Nord keyboards it'd be quite evident. – John Wu Mar 21 at 4:32
  • 1
    Fender Rhodes through a Leslie produces a sort of vibrato. Impossible using an acoustic piano - unless the strings are tuned honky tonk style. – Tim Mar 21 at 7:18

Vibrato is impossible on the piano. The closest you could come is with the growling effect using the damper pedal, but this can be risky.

Vibrato is a standard technique on the clavichord, where it is called Bebung. This is possible due to the direct mechanical connection to the tangents which strike the strings. This possibility was a casualty of the development of the piano's escapement mechanism.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.