On the violin you can play a double stop where you are playing 4th finger on the D string (A note) while playing the open A string. This means that you are playing the A note on both strings. How would you write this on sheet music?

1 Answer 1


In general, like this:

enter image description here

The noteheads may be shunted apart if other voices are present.

  • 1
    What is that type of notehead called?
    – xilpex
    Commented Mar 24, 2019 at 0:03
  • 6
    That is the regular notehead. The upward and downward stems follow the convention for writing multiple parts, or voices, on the same staff. Google for multiple voices or multiple parts notation for examples. Alternatively, this question music.stackexchange.com/questions/76880/… shows another example.
    – user48353
    Commented Mar 24, 2019 at 0:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.