What do we call the instrument parts, that goes under the song lyrics?

The parts that doesn't equal to the melody of the lyrics but add lot of fullness.


Here I am talking about music parts that are normally written for violins and other strings, and some times lead guitars.

  • 1
    probably you mean right hand of the piano accompaniment. I would call it harmonisation, arpeggios or even counterpoint. – Albrecht Hügli Apr 5 '19 at 9:06
  • @AlbrechtHügli I edited the question – Lasitha Yapa Apr 5 '19 at 9:08
  • "...normally written for violins and other strings..." you need to get out more :-) . A jazz singer has an entire swing band behind them, for example. In any case, the three terms in @AlbrechtHügli 's comment are correct. – Carl Witthoft Apr 5 '19 at 12:47

The accompaniment and the bass line are the usuals. Accompaniment as it accompanies the melody, the bass line as it's played by the bass, or the left hand on piano. Sometimes all that is called the chords which would be played on guitar or piano - the main two instruments that play multiple notes. Occasionally there is a drum pattern.

EDIT: now a different question, partially. The guitar part could be the riff, and strings/horns be the accompaniment again.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.