For instance, if I have written the C minor arpeggio from C2 to C6, how could I do to write the same note sequence but, in this time, starting from C6 to C2? Could this be done automatically, retrograding the already written note sequence?

This is a tool that I often miss, I don't know if it is possible to do it with Finale...

1 Answer 1


I don't personally own Finale, but I understand there is a "Canonic Utilities" tool that allows you to do such transformations.

According to this site on Finale's page, you can find it under Plug-Ins => Scoring and Arranging => Canonic Utilities. I admit that I don't fully know what you're looking for—exact inversion, or inversion within the C-minor arpeggio?—but these various inversion options should at least save you time in getting to where you want to get.

Also included are various transposition and retrograde options.

  • Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. When I said "to invert", I said it in the sense of reversing the order, making the last notes first and the first ones last.
    – Quaerendo
    Apr 14, 2019 at 15:21
  • 2
    @Quaerendo Excellent! In that sense, you may be more interested in the retrograde option than in the inversion option. Retrograde reverses the order, whereas inversion flips it upside down.
    – Richard
    Apr 14, 2019 at 15:23
  • Great. I’m still using Finale, but I didn’t know this too. Apr 14, 2019 at 16:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.