Sometimes I've been going through [Tritone Sub of V] - I cadences. Is there a specific name for this?


For example, Db7 - C?

Since you took the tritone substitute of the V (the dominant), this is still a kind of dominant cadence. Specifically, it's a tritone-substitute dominant cadence.

  • 1
    Is 'dominant' cadence another term for 'perfect' or 'authentic' cadence? – Tim Apr 22 '19 at 6:24
  • 1
    In the context of C major, "Db7" could also be taken as a chromatic modification of vii7. How is it decided, what chord a chord is a substitution for? For me, the use of that cadence to perform the function of V-I in C has the problem that Db sounds like VI of f minor, so the cadence sounds like an imperfect cadence, VI-V, in f minor. – Rosie F Apr 22 '19 at 6:24
  • 1
    @RosieF - Db in key C is bii, isn't it? A tritone substitution is the chord whose 3 and 7 notes are the 7 and 3 of the other chord. Both being dominant 7th chords. – Tim Apr 22 '19 at 6:26
  • 1
    @Tim But in the context of the key of C major, the "Cb" of the "Db7" chord is better spelt as B (natural). Hence I spell the chord's notes as B Db F Ab, and I associate it with vii7, which is B D F A. Now if the chord had been Db maj7, that would be different... – Rosie F Apr 22 '19 at 6:58
  • @Tim and others who have suggested changing dominant cadence to authentic cadence: One definition of an authentic cadence specifically requires a V chord moving to a I. Using the broader term dominant cadence allows for the fact that Db7 - C doesn't "look" on its face like a V moving to I. (Of course, if you tweak the definition of authentic and/or understand the Db7 as some kind of rootless altered V chord, you could argue that this rises to the level of an authentic cadence. But my answer, as written, avoids these semantic issues.) – Max Jul 26 '19 at 1:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.