I was just browsing through ABRSM syllabus and found two different things, as mentioned in the title.

What is the difference?

The syllabus is here: https://in.abrsm.org/fileadmin/user_upload/PDFs/Piano_Syllabus_2019___2020_complete.pdf. And the page number is 27.

  • 6
    Please add a link to the syllabus and page references. The likely answer is that "scales in thirds" is referring to playing both notes with the same hand, while "scales a third apart" refers to playing the upper line with the right hand and the lower line with the left. – user48353 May 7 '19 at 3:56
  • 1
    @replete - why a comment but not an answer? A good one too. – Tim May 7 '19 at 6:37
  • @Tim - I guess I'm a pedant, I don't want to answer an underspecified question so I ask to make sure. It comes to the same thing for the OP! – user48353 May 7 '19 at 7:36
  • @replete - fair enough. Although a far better place to ask this question ought to be ABRSM, would you agree? Yours pedantically... – Tim May 7 '19 at 7:39
  • 1
    @replete: thank you for your help. All the more for being exacting on the correct ways of posting a question. :-) – Subir Nag May 9 '19 at 3:49

I guess:

Regarding the piano


will mean thirds played with one hand


played with both hands.

| improve this answer | |
  • Makes you wonder: in the syllabus why not simply write "scale in thirds in one hand" and "scales in each hand a third apart?" – Michael Curtis May 7 '19 at 13:27
  • @Michael Curtis - I kind of agree to what you said. But I guess everybody gets used to conventions and prevalent understanding. – Subir Nag May 9 '19 at 3:50
  • @Albrecht Hügli - Thank you. – Subir Nag May 9 '19 at 3:51

In addition to other ways of separating the two, I've also heard guitarists playing scales in thirds, playing (C-E-D-F-E-G-F-A... one after the other). They seem to call that playing the C major scale in thirds, but I'm not sure exactly how widespread that phrasing is.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.