I have frequently heard in pop music to use the technique described above: to start a song with a melody in a certain key and, after a while, to play again that melody raising the key one semitone.

For example, this is done in the next song (I can not remember right now a better example), where melody starts in the initial key at 0:38 and thereafter starts in a semitone upper one in 1:17:

Has this technique a particular name? Are there any specific rules to use it?

  • Oh, great... just add 7 sharps to the current key signature. Us musicians love that. :-) May 28 '19 at 13:35

Truck driver gear shift. Use it if you want to sound trite. (But sometimes trite is right :-)

  • 3
    Compulsory for any show with the words "Idol" or "Got Talent" in it ;)
    – Tetsujin
    May 28 '19 at 11:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.