So I came across this Snarky Puppy's video and I saw an instrument that I'm not familiar with.

enter image description here

Hoping you guys could tell me what's this instrument called? Thanks!

closed as off-topic by user45266, Tim, Dom Jun 12 at 21:07

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions about transcribing or finding a particular song, including identifying chords, notes, key and time signatures, or similar elements, are off-topic since they are rarely useful to future readers." – user45266, Tim, Dom
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    It’s going to be hard with just a picture where most of it can’t be seen. Could you provide a link to the video itself instead? – Todd Wilcox Jun 12 at 4:36
  • Um, we don't really do instrument identification on the main site. Feel free to post in Music: Practice & Theory Chat, though, where I'm sure someone would be able to give you what you need. Snarky Puppy is awesome. – user45266 Jun 12 at 4:45
  • Re: Attempted Edit, sorry, didn't realise it was a tag edit. My bad if the edit gets tossed. – user45266 Jun 12 at 5:15
  • Meta question: music.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/3307/… – topo morto Jun 12 at 10:29
  • 2
    Please let's add more detail and fix the tittle so it's more specific. If we want to consider changing the FAQ about identification questions like this and point to good examples, we need to make sure the ones we are showing off are good quality for future users. – Dom Jun 12 at 21:09

It's a ratchet.

A Google search happens to give me a similar shaped one as a picture. Here's a another one, just in case.

  • 3
    Don't mind downvotes, just would appreciate an explanation of why. As far as I know the answer is (a) correct, (b) doesn't lent itself for any additional information without simply quoting Wikipedia. – Willem van Rumpt Jun 12 at 5:26
  • 1
    The funny thing is that "ratchet" is the Mechanical Engineering name for that physical construction. Other than the triangle, this is about the only instrument I can think of whose name is self-definitive. (and no, "squeeze-box" doesn't count) – Carl Witthoft Jun 12 at 12:47
  • 6
    I personally don't think the close votes and answer votes should mix. It's unclear if this will be closed, so, until it is, this Answer should be treated as as valid as any other Answer, and judged on its own merits. Otherwise, if the question isn't closed, now you have a bunch of downvotes that were unwarranted. – trlkly Jun 12 at 13:03
  • 1
    @carl_witthoft if you dig into some Latin instruments, mostly percussion, you may find others...en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawbone_(instrument) – b3ko Jun 12 at 14:11
  • 2
    @CarlWitthoft Wood block. – David Richerby Jun 12 at 17:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.