I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place for this question but I've been searching far and wide to find pieces similar in sound and have had no luck googling.

In Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No.2 in C Minor, Mov. 2, there is a very distinctive section towards the end with an arpeggio in the left hand and some chord progression in the right. For reference:

It starts at exactly 10:18 in the video.

I'm wondering if there's a particular name for this sort of run of the right hand and what style of music it falls under, and how to search for pieces with similar atmospheres!


  • Btw, if you add &t=10m18s to a YouTube link, it will start to play from that point. – Your Uncle Bob Jun 17 '19 at 20:16
  • Michael, This question is [off-topic for this forum][1] . You may want to ask this on a non-stack exchange site! [1] : music.stackexchange.com/help/on-topic] – KoshVorlon Jun 17 '19 at 20:30
  • @YourUncleBob Even better, going to the "share" button under every Youtube video and checking "Start At: (current time)" does the same thing. I know I use that trick all the time when formatting videos into my answers. – user45266 Jun 18 '19 at 0:11

There's no technical or scholarly name more precise than your own description: L.H. arpeggios with R.H. block chords.

The "atmosphere" is due at least as much to the lush string accompaniment and the harmonic progression (and the ten-minute buildup to this point), as to this particular pianistic texture.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.