I was looking at some Romantic era works, and I have found an unusual cadence of:


Is there a name for this cadence? I'm tempted to say it is a variant plagal cadence - A plagal cadence is normally a [pre-dom]-[tonic] cadence of IV-I, but in this case it is a Ger.6-I instead.

  • 2
    Never got into the foreign 6ths, but this sounds like a V to modulate into C#/Db, as it constitutes Ab7, spelled strangely! – Tim Jun 19 '19 at 13:37
  • 2
    I've heard bVI-I ending cadences in quite a few Romantic-era piano pieces--this Ger. Aug. 6-I cadence seems like a natural extension. – Dekkadeci Jun 19 '19 at 16:55
  • @Dekkadeci - bVI-I ending - what if there is a passing chord bVII??? A bVI-bVII-I - MARIO xD! – Maika Sakuranomiya Jun 19 '19 at 23:30
  • 1
    Out of curiosity, where did you find this cadence? It's possible it's better understood as a common-tone chord than as a real cadence. – Richard Jun 19 '19 at 23:45
  • 1
    @MaikaSakuranomiya Do you have measure numbers? – Richard Jun 20 '19 at 14:38

As the Augmented Sixth Chords are usually pre-dominant, this may be called a plagal cadence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.