This is a sequel to this question. Refer to it for the just ratio of the tones.

Being septimal, I thought it could be used for Jazz. The chord progression I made is (Based on C):

CM7 - F♯ø7 - FM7 - G, repeated.

Is there a name for this particular chord progression? (Like C - G - Am - F is refered as 'The 4 Chords'?)

Is there any song based on this chord progression?

  • Not heard of 'the 4 chords' before. I vi IV V is far more often used. – Tim Oct 19 '19 at 15:53
  • 1
    @Tim, I think he's referring not to a single specific progression, but how most "4 chord progressions" in popular music are built with the 1-4-5-6m in varying orders. E.g. the popularity of the 50s "Stand By Me" chords you mention is certainly rivaled in pop music by the "Let It Be" chords he mentioned. Rhythm changes and ragtime are notable exceptions, but I feel like they're not as represented in modern pop. – user63785 Oct 19 '19 at 16:30
  • @Tim look up Axis of Awesome's 4-chord song video. I've run across "the four chords" pretty often (I-V-vi-IV) under that name, or something to the same effect. – user45266 Oct 21 '19 at 17:23
  • An example of the progression OP mentions: Chorus of "Love on Top" by Beyoncé. – user45266 Oct 21 '19 at 17:25
  • 1
    @user45266 - seen it, love it. It speaks volumes about the state of pop music these days. Mind you, back in the '60s, it was either 12 bars or I vi IV V, so who are we to criticise..? – Tim Oct 21 '19 at 17:35

I'm not aware of a term for that exact progression, but it does remind me a bit of the stomp with that #4o7 used to ascend and the dominant being stressed before it repeats.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.