I'm a beginner in guitar playing. I come across this type of accompaniment (specifically the rhythm on the right hand) frequently in songs and really like it but don't know what it's called to search for tutorials. Can I get help to point me in the right direction? Thanks.

  • do you mean the chords and how he works with the right hand or with the left? Commented Oct 20, 2019 at 7:29
  • What makes you think you need a tutorial? Have you tried doing something similar? Slow down the video to 0.5x speed? Commented Oct 20, 2019 at 20:00
  • That's a valid point. I have tried to do that of course. It's faster to reach for the guitar than typing a question. But there are different variations far as I can see, so I think knowing what it is can help me get a bigger picture.
    – Huy Nguyen
    Commented Oct 20, 2019 at 20:12
  • 2
    Try "fingerstyle slapping". Commented Oct 20, 2019 at 20:24

3 Answers 3


There are a few things he's doing with the rhythm. I'm not sure if there's a name for the whole effect, though.

The slaps happen on beats 2 and 4, constituting a backbeat.

There's a chord on beat 1 and a staccato chord on the last 16th note of beat one. This is sometimes called an anticipation.

The bass thumps are on the last 2 16ths of beat 2, stopping just before beat 3 which would normally be the second strongest beat after beat 1. This could be considered a syncopation, having a rest where you would expect a note. You can kind of feel a beat here even though you don't hear anything.


Did you look up fingerstyle slapping as piiperi suggests:

I‘found this video that teaches, how to master finger style slapping (10 exercises):


If you mean the rhythmic accompaniment of the right hand:

On certain beats, instead of a full strum of the strings, we mute all the strings with our strumming hand, and simply run the pick across the dead strings, creating a "blip" kind of sound. This sound creates a very pleasing rhythmic contrast to the rest of the strums, which carry a full tone. The key to its effectiveness is that it is creating an accent on the beat it falls on.

It is called the slap strum.


But there may be different names like this link shows:


Searching for "slap strum" you will find plenty of tutorials.

  • Sorry I wasn't clear in the question. I edited the question to specify the rhythm he uses, kind of making use of the percussive slap and bass note ornaments.
    – Huy Nguyen
    Commented Oct 20, 2019 at 19:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.