I have to give examples since there's pretty much no good way to describe this with words.

It's basically when a singer's voice shifts to a very high pitch for a short time, intentionally or not, at the end of a phrase or in between phrases.

Maybe it doesn't have a particular name and it's just a phenomenon that happens while singing, but it sounds good. Thanks in advance

  • If it's unintentional it's not a technique. It's a sign that the singer is not well trained.
    – user50691
    Oct 29, 2019 at 12:02
  • Tempted to say "Yodelling" :-) Oct 29, 2019 at 13:03

1 Answer 1


Hi and welcome to the Music stack exchange. What you are referring to in your examples is not so much a technique as much as it is a phenomenon known as "Passaggio" or, more commonly, a "Voice Break."

It occurs when the human voice transitions between different vocal registers and is essentially the same phenomenon that some teenagers experience unintentionally, as a 'voice crack,' when they are going through puberty...

This article on voice breaks and switching vocal registers may be helpful...

Many professional singers train painstakingly in order to achieve seamless transitions between vocal registers during the Passaggio. It is mainly in pop-music where one will hear the voice breaks emphasized for a bit of an extra novelty within the vocal performance.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.