I am referring to the practice of repeating the root or tonic of a scale when spelling (not playing) a scale. I recall being told to __ my scale but I cannot remember the word… at all.

  • Can you give an example of it written out on a staff? I think that would help me understand what you are asking for. – Reina Abolofia Jan 25 '13 at 5:00
  • @ReinaAbolofia I think e.g. A B C# D E F# G# (A) -- saying that last A is ____ing the scale. – user28 Jan 25 '13 at 5:35
  • I'm thinking maybe "completing" the scale? – Reina Abolofia Jan 26 '13 at 1:34

I'd probably call it completing or finishing or even resolving the scale. But I imagine the word you might have heard is tagging in the sense of touching base.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.