This is one of my favourite techniques within music (if it even is one). As such I would love to know what its called, thanks :)

  • 2
    Acapella? And after, tutti? – Tim Feb 17 at 8:24
  • Or tacet for orchestra? – Albrecht Hügli Feb 17 at 10:26
  • 1
    @Tim minor nit: A capella ; two words. – Carl Witthoft Feb 17 at 14:17
  • 2
    @CarlWitthoft - many thanks. I just missed the space bar! Minor nit : capella - source - she-goat. Actually a bright yellow star. Cappella - source - chapel. Wearing that pointy hat again... – Tim Feb 17 at 15:10
  • 2
    I use the term Vocal Break. Not sure where I picked the term up, maybe recording class. – Alphonso Balvenie Feb 17 at 20:44

If you're a musician, "tacet" ("silent") or "rest". If you're the vocalist, "a cappella" ("in the manner of the chapel").

If you're a sound engineer looking at a soundboard, you "solo" the channel (after the name of the button on the vocalist's channel on the board). This is very rare unless you're doing live looping and are doing your own sound.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.