I am very new to flute, but I have played various instruments over the years. A thing I am having issues with is when I go from the fingering for G4 to the fingering for A4 (according to all the fingering charts I have seen), it actually jumps to something closer to B-flat. Do I just suck right now, or is something odd going on with my flute?
Several possibilities here, but you’re probably not going to get a definitive answer without standing in front of a more experienced flautist and showing them.
- as @Jomiddnz suggests, perhaps your Bb key is stiff
- the padding on your B or A key may be leaking
- you may be subconsciously tightening your embouchure in an effort to ‘make’ the higher note
- you may be subconsciously changing the horizontal angle of the flute against your lip, or rolling it inwards
- you may be touching a key further down the flute, perhaps on your right hand, to steady the flute as your left hand has less contact
Or it could be a combination of more than one of the above, or something else I’ve not thought of!