I play guitar in a musical group.

What is the correct musical term when all instruments including drums would play/strum a particular note with some force? I have been using the term "syncopation" incorrectly because I did not know the correct term to use.

  • Did you mean "when all instruments..." or "...a note with some force"?
    – user45266
    Mar 12, 2020 at 0:55
  • 2
    A “hit” or a “stab” what your looking for? en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stab_(music)
    – b3ko
    Mar 12, 2020 at 2:10
  • If the accent comes in an unusual place in the bar, then it will still be a 'syncopation' - so it could be a 'syncopated stab/hit'.
    – Tim
    Mar 12, 2020 at 9:51
  • thank u everyone for your comments. After all i was using the term "syncopation" correctly.
    – snoma01
    Mar 13, 2020 at 1:24

2 Answers 2


If it’s a little more force, an accent. If it has a lot of attack you could say it’s marcato. Although, if you want something a little less classical you could call it a “hit”.

  • 1
    Unison ('one sound') means you all play the same note or notes, without harmony. Tutti ('all') means you ALL play, though not necessarily in unison. Yer average band wouldn't normally use either of these words though. Mar 12, 2020 at 1:15
  • You could also say unison accent or tutti accent, I think.
    – awe lotta
    Mar 12, 2020 at 13:00

'Sfortzando' is a word that works. I don't think there's a special term for everyone playing thus simultaneously, but on a score - yes, even for a small group - those notes would be marked as sf.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.