I am practising a piece on piano and I find that I can not progress beyond 70% of the intended speed without hitting a lot of wrong keys by accident. In fact, I even have problems playing the song at 50% speed or even slower without hitting any wrong keys. With wrong keys I usually mean jumping to a specific key and then not only hitting that one but additionally the one above/below. Here is how often that happens in relation to the speed (estimates):
10%: 1 in 200 keys 30%: 1 in 150 keys 40%: 1 in 100 keys 50%: 1 in 80 keys 60%: 1 in 60 keys 70%: 1 in 30 keys 80%: 1 in 10 keys 90%: 1 in 5 keys
So even if I play it very slowly, I can't avoid hitting some wrong keys. What would you recommend to get me to 100% speed with perfect consistency the fastest? Ideas:
- Just keep practising (have been doing that for the last months)
- Do more finger exercises (scales?)
- Start with a second piece (I would like to do that because it gets very frustrating, but I don't want to slow down my progress)
Edit: Thanks to everybody for the detailed and helpful answers. Here is some more information that came up multiple times:
- Breaking up the song: I have been doing that from the beginning, but I will try to go below one bar and just practice 2 or 3 notes at 100% speed.
- My method of increasing speed is to play the song over my speakers at a given speed and trying to play along on the piano. I feel that pushes me to play faster but also keep the correct rhythm. I will continue doing that as the consensus seems to be that it's fine to only play 95% correct for now.
- I will look into more exercises, but maybe also start the second piece in parallel when I get too frustrated.
- I can use a program to record my playing and analyse how many mistakes I do, will use that more to monitor my progress!
Alright, here is a recording (Youtube is still processing it for HQ but you can watch it in SD):
Here is somebody else performing it at full speed:(mainly the part starting at 1:50).