In the following score, why don't they just write the notes on the bass clef. It would make things much easier to read. You get points if you know what song it's from. It's a rock n roll song from the 70s.score

  • 1
    It looks like a guitar part but written at sounding-pitch. And the chords are wrongly named. They should be: |Am / C(G bass) / |Fmaj7 / / / |Am / C(G bass) / | And the rhythm in bar 2 is misspelt (US: misspelled). And it's too small to read! Hi logic1976. Welcome to Music P&T! – Old Brixtonian Apr 25 at 0:58
  • Thanks Brixtonian, I appreciate being welcomed. – logic1976 Apr 25 at 2:51
  • 2
    The one-word answer to this question is "incompetence." That trait is also evident in the beaming of the second bar. – phoog Apr 26 at 4:04

This is only a guess on my part, and I've been wrong many times before, but it appears to be an attempt to multiply the number of octaves lower than middle C to be displayed in the sheet. I have to say I wouldn't have thought to do it this way myself. Here's another quick guess from just looking at the rhythm of the piece. Is it Dom-Diddy Dom Dom by Manfred Mann?

| improve this answer | |
  • It was Stairway to Heaven. I have forgotten who arranged it. I got it from musescore. It might be the Victor Gomblik version but not sure. Thanks for your help. – logic1976 May 3 at 4:21

Who's 'they'? Not, I suspect a professional publisher.

Yes, it's unhelpful notation. Probably from a MIDI keyboard straight into a notation program.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks I really appreciate you helping me out for this the second time. – logic1976 Apr 25 at 2:51
  • I have seen a similar effect when importing a MIDI file, but it has picked the wrong instrument. If that instrument is normally written using the treble clef, then you could see a really badly formatted result. – Simon B Apr 25 at 16:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.