I'm transcribing a song, and towards the end of it the music cuts out and an audio recording of the album's producer telling an anecdote plays. It's entirely raw, i.e., no effects or instruments playing (at least to my ears). Is there a name for a part like this of a song?

In case it is useful, the song in question is The About It Song by Soulwax.

  • 1
    In opera, assuming it's part of the performance, it's "recitative" . Not exactly the same thing. Jun 18 '20 at 13:40

'spoken word outro' sounds right. It has been used before in this context (link).

As far as I know there doesn't exist a canonical word or phrase that one would find in a musical textbook.


There's no accepted name for it that I've ever heard. Just describe it in plain English. 'Spoken outro' would do. Can't see any point in adding the extra word 'word' making it 'Spoken word outro'. There's not much you can speak but words.

  • 1
    'Spoken word' is idiomatic, presumably as a reverse match to 'written word'.
    – Tetsujin
    Jun 18 '20 at 6:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.