Just wondering if there was a technical name for the keyboard "slap" technique found here at around 4:00ish:


1 Answer 1


Not really. Organs aren't touch sensitive, so there's no effect to the sound, it's just this guy's way of getting extremely short staccato notes.

  • 1
    Thinking about this again, I still agree with you although I think there is an important distinction -- his "short, staccato" notes aren't necessarily intentionally selected notes, they're somewhat random hits on the keyboard without regard for the notes, which creates a more percussive, rhythmic sound to me. An analogous concept to this I think would be guitar damping/scratching. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_%28music%29 and a sample: youtu.be/Prh2Jkt1nLE
    – ccnokes
    Commented Mar 4, 2015 at 0:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.