My PC doesn't have a "line-in" jack - only USB and HDMI. How do I connect the stereo RCA output from my reel-to-reel deck to my PC to transfer the audio to the PC?


With a USB soundcard. If you don't need a microphone input, there are several pretty solid USB soundcards in quite affordable price range with line-level inputs to be had on the second-hand market. Just make sure that the driver situation with your PC is good. "Class-compliant" cards with USB 2.0 "high speed" connection are the best bet for stuff that is going to work without a lot of headaches for a variety of current and future systems.

I've banked on the combination of a solid minidisc desk (with A/D converters and digital outputs) and a cheap USB 1.1 sound-card with digital optical input myself at one time (with the rationale of "digital is lossless, so price doesn't matter once we are digital") but that was not a good scheme because of the dropouts.

  • What do you mean by "make sure the driver situation is good"? Is there some "matching" involved? – Paul Apr 5 '17 at 18:53
  • 3
    If you buy a new soundcard/interface it will either include the necessary drivers (software that allows your computer to understand and use the hardware) or it will be "class-compliant" meaning it works without any installing any additional drivers because it uses existing generic drivers. A common problem with proprietary drivers is that they aren't updated for new operating systems. I have an old interface that is fine in theory but useless because it only has drivers for Win XP. Class-compliant drivers solve this problem. – user37496 Apr 5 '17 at 19:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.