I have a quick question: What's the notation used to indicate that a certain part of a piece is supposed to be played at a higher/lower tempo but only during a repetition. For instance, if I have a D.C. al Fine at the end of my piece, and I wanted to play the entire piece 40BPM higher than the original tempo on the second run, how could I write it?

  • 6
    Are you perchance the Super Mario Bros sound designer?
    – pipe
    Commented Aug 7, 2017 at 7:33
  • xD No, actually no ^^ Commented Aug 10, 2017 at 18:30

1 Answer 1


Just use text. I would put this information with the D.C. (or D.S.) marking and with the original tempo marking. But I would put it inside a bracket.

So for instance, at the beginning:

"Allegro (faster on D.C.)" or "Allegro (faster 2nd time)"


"D.C. al Coda (faster 2nd time)"

You could even write the actual change of tempo. For instance: "Allegro (Presto on D.C.)" or even put the different metronome markings in a similar fashion.

For these kind of distinctions, you can't beat just using text to explain what you want.

  • If only computer programming languages had such flexibility! Here we have it; don't shy away from using it. Commented Sep 21, 2020 at 1:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.